20 Montgomery County students get National Merit Scholarships
20 Montgomery County students earned company-sponsored National Merit Scholarships in the latest round of awards for the Class of 2022.
Approximately 1,000 high school students have won corporate-sponsored National Merit Scholarships funded by approximately 136 corporations, corporate foundations and other business organizations.
Scholars are selected from students who have reached the runner-up level in the National Merit Scholarship competition and who have met the criteria of their scholarship sponsors. Corporate sponsors provide scholarships to students who are the children of their employees, who reside in communities served by the company, or who plan to pursue college education or careers that the sponsor wishes to encourage.
Most scholarships are renewable for up to four years of undergraduate college study and offer annual stipends ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 per year. Some offer a one-time payment between $2,500 and $5,000. Recipients may use their awards at any regionally accredited US college or university of their choice.
2022 Company-Sponsored National Merit Scholars Winners
The winners, their intended career areas and the scholarship are:
Montgomery Blair High School
- Celeste R. Basken, Environmental Policy, Distillers Distributors Foundation Fellowship
- Aditya Chattopadhyay, IT, CACI scholarship
- Kevin J. Gehl, Law, Mary E. Beyerle Fellowship
- Alena Y. Hu, Mechanical Engineering, Leidos, Inc. Fellowship
Damascus High School
- Pritham S. Mulagura, Medicine, Mary E. Beyerle Fellowship
Winston Churchill High School
- Amber Liu, Medicine, Northrop Grumman Fellowship
- Andrew T. Wang, Medicine, Johnson & Johnson Fellowship
- Justin Wang, Electrical Engineering, Astrazeneca Pharmaceuticals Fellowship
Richard Montgomery High School
- Madeline E. Lawrence, undecided, Astrazeneca Pharmaceuticals Fellowship
- Feileen N. Li, International Trade, Raytheon Fellowship
- Vismaya P. Mohindra, International Relations, Leidos Fellowship, Inc.
- Emily S. Wu, Company, Boeing Fellowship
North West High School
- Melanie Duong, Intellectual Property Law, Leidos Fellowship, Inc.
- Imani Ghosh, Medicine, General Dynamics Corporation Scholarship
Poolesville Secondary School
- Neha Chandra, Medicine, Merit GEICO Fellowship
- Arpita M. Raman, Medicine, GEICO Fellowship
- Vivian Y. Xiao, IT, Astrazeneca Pharmaceuticals
Walt Whitman High School
- Hugh Markham, Entrepreneurship, PWC Charitable Foundation Fellowship
Thomas S. Wootton
- Keerthi Padmanabhan, Materials Engineering, Astrazeneca Pharmaceuticals Fellowship
- Isra Qadri, Public Policy, Astrazeneca Pharmaceuticals Fellowship
231 MCPS students named National Merit Semifinalists