5 things to know today, December 16, in Montgomery County
It’s Thursday, December 16, and here are five things to know in Montgomery County.
1. Annual legislative breakfast for minorities: The 21st Annual Minority Legislative Breakfast focuses on common priorities. African American, Asian and Hispanic business communities come together to host the virtual meeting which begins at 9 a.m.
Annual Minority Legislative Breakfast focuses on common priorities
More information about the event is available, here. The match is not live and will be broadcast on YouTube and Facebook.
2. Franklin Avenue sidewalk project: Public hearing from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. to present the details and schedule of the project, hear testimony from residents and answer questions regarding the Franklin Avenue sidewalk project. Please register to attend. The virtual hearing link and password will be emailed to all registrants on the morning of the hearing. This project
3. Self-defense workshops: Women of all ages can register for an introductory self-defense seminar hosted by the Montgomery County Commission for Women. The Self Defense Awareness and Familiarization Exchange Event, also known as SECURITY, is held on zoom for $ 10. The course focuses on risk reduction for security and physical defense.
Montgomery County Commission for Women hosts self-defense workshops
4. Oak Chapel UM Hub food distribution: Drive-thru food distribution every Thursday from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm at 14500 Layhill Rd., Silver Spring, MD 20906. Case manager available to assist public with social services; Government assistance; SNAP / Food voucher; Mental Health; COVID-19 screening and vaccination; Community clinic; Emergency assistance for rental and utilities; Immigration information; Prevention of foreclosure; Health insurance.
For an appointment or without an appointment, contact Alejandra at 202-642-5316 or [email protected]
5. Garden of Lights: Over a million dazzling, colorful LED lights are hand-woven into original artwork depicting animals, flowers, and other natural elements. Brookside Gardens is located at 1800 Glenallan Avenue Wheaton, MD 20902 from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
The Garden of Lights exhibition returns on Friday
And as a reminder to our loyal readers …Find the latest updates on coronavirus news in Montgomery County here.